Distros? or raw BSD?
- PFSense, OPNSense, Untangled
BSD Host with other guests?
- Full Gig speed
- Firewall and port forwarding with hairpin
- IPv6 with firewall setup
- Be able to configure DNSMasq sanely.
- Easy to configure static dhcp and corresponding DNS hosts
- Easy to configure DNS names
- Easy to set up arbitrary VPNs
- Maybe run arbitrary VM/Containers for other infra services like: Pihole,
What if I want to run VMs?
One could just run VMs using virtualization on the respective BSD distro above. Using: https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve. Tried this and was able to start a VM pretty easily.
Other options include more virutalization web management frameworks on top of KVM and/or Xen nee Citrix