On Sunday, two ladies we’d previously met on a home check called us to let us know a relative had found two young Dachshunds. They ended up dropping them off at our house and we found they were covered in ticks (and also look like mixes). We took them to the Mebane vet yesterday (they are a wonderful vet and any pet is lucky to be cared for by their generous and caring staff). We then found that they also have serious heart murmurs and are expected to live 2 years or so. Neither were spayed/neutered and the male hasn’t a thought in his head other than pursuing the female. It’s though that the two are litter mates (brother & sister) and also that they’ve probably already mated (gross, I know). Surgery is risky for the pups in their condition, but we cannot adopt them out unaltered, so they will be going in for surgery in a few weeks. Emma and Andy currently reside in our garage until all the ticks have died and fallen off, at which point they’ll come live inside with us!

Teddy, mentioned Saturday, is now being fostered in Durham, so we’re down to four.

Update: Landscaping pictures are up.


Recently, Libby’s connected with a number of people who are fostering dogs for DRNA in our area. In general, this means that we don’t have to keep as many dogs at our house! This week, two of the dogs fostered by other local voulenteers were adopted–Baxter and Oscar. Tomorrow, Jazz gets picked up by his family whose driven down from Illinois!

As for us, Libby’s spent the day dealing with Teddy our newest foster who’s a 25 pound male red long-hair. She picked him up this morning in Cary (he came all the way from South Carolina), took him to the vet to get shots and found that he is heartworm positive, has fleas, and conjunctivitis (eye problems). Finally, a woman we’d met on a transport came over to offer her grooming expertise and he’s now looking beautiful (pictures to come). As for the heartworms, it means he’ll be in foster care for at least 6 weeks for the treatment and a neuter. Poor guy.

canoeing, gardening, and dining

This weekend we had quite a few things planned, and amazingly we got to most of them. We started the weekend with a shopping extravaganza at Lowes where we bought plants, top soil, and mulch for Sunday’s endeavours. We dined at Quizno’s for dinner, and headed to bed early to rest up for Saturday.

On Saturday we woke and headed to rent a canoe and proceeded to paddle upstream for many a mile on the Eno river. During our trip, Lillian was more than happy to jump into the water and was completely unfazed by the entire canoeing experience. You can see photos of her swimming to fetch her toy in the water. We were quite impressed. We had intended to go downriver and into the lake, but alas a miscalculation caused us to head the wrong way. We had a wonderful time in spite of this mistake!

On Sunday, we begun our celebration of our anniversary by contemplating whether our planting ornamental grass in front of the utility “nubs” was worth the risk of cutting the wires or not compounded by the fear of recent mistakes made in this department. We decied that we would proceed cautiously and ignore the risk! We’re not terribly happy about the large number of green things in our lawn, particularly when the one which lies front and center pertains to the telephone company with which we have no affiliation.

Not only this, but we also planted four new bushes and transplated one of the boxwoods to better frame the sidewalk leading up to our front door.

Finally, we enjoyed a nice dinner at Casa Carbone though I’m not sure we’ll ever be headed back.

Tonight, I made fajitas using a recipe off the internet found by searching for “fajita recipe” of all obscure keywords! They were out of this world, and Libby and I were both stuffed to the brim. We enjoyed a nice long walk down the dirt path which will eventually be the continuation of our road, and have returned for a bit of television, reading, and uploading of the photos from the weekend.

We’ve enjoyed our first six months as married couple, and we feel very lucky to have found one another!

zero to KDE in 35 minutes

This evening, I installed Debian on a machine which was formerly running Gentoo. I used the new debian-installer currently in testing for release with sarge whenever that happens. It was pleasntly simple and quick, and as I said I now have KDE running and mythfrontend running with video, sound, and everything working with basically no configuration. I did find one hiccup in the installer with resizing existing partitions, but it was easily solved. I installed the unstable distribution for now which includes KDE 3.2 and a 2.4.26 kernel!